The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to China, due to an ongoing outbreak of respiratory illness caused by a novel coronavirus which can be spread from person to person.
CCD has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice. Please see https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nCoV/summary.html
If you have travel plans, please check with the airlines regarding any flight cancellations and/or restrictions on flying.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid all nonessential travel to China.
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer if soap and water are not available.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or your sleeve (not your hands) when coughing or sneezing.
- Rely on trusted sources for information.Both WHO and CDC have up to date information regarding the outbreak. For Taiwan-specific information, please refer to the Taiwan CDC website: https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En
- Avoid live or dead animals and animal markets and persons exhibiting signs of respiratory illness.
- Ensure that you had an influenza immunization this season to minimize the chances of getting flu that may mimic a coronavirus infection.
- If you traveled to China and feel sick, or were exposed to someone who was in China in the last six weeks who has fever, cough, or difficulty breathing, seek medical care right away. For the most up-to-date information, please consult the CDC website.
For emergencies involving U.S. citizens, please contact the American Citizen Services Unit of the American Institute in Taiwan:
* Contact AIT Taipei Office, located at 100 Jinhu Road, Neihu Dist., Taipei City 11461. Phone: (02)2162-2000; Fax:(02)2162-2239. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (02)2162-2000. Email: TaipeiACS@state.gov.
- ContactAIT Kaohsiung Office, located at No. 88, 5th floor, Chenggong 2nd Road, Qianzhen District, Kaohsiung City 80661. Phone: (07)335-5006; Fax (07)338-0551. Email: TaipeiACS@state.gov
Calling from Outside of Taiwan – Department of State – Consular Affairs:
Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).